Saturday, August 29, 2009

Yearning

Hot dogs. I stopped eating hot dogs a couple years ago when I began avoiding processed foods in favor of homemade and natural. Then earlier this week, as I was on a walk, I smelled hot dogs cooking on a grill. This being summer, I couldn't resist and went out and bought a package. Tonight, we are having them again (they are natural, if that makes it any better!).


And we're roasting S'mores afterward.

I was wondering why hot dogs twice in one week, and the only thing I can think of is memories. Memories of a simpler time. Of innocence and joy, with not a care in the world.

That's not to say as a child I had it super easy (nor is that to say I had it harder than most... I didn't; these things are naturally relative to our own experiences), but there was a large part of my life spent in pure happiness.

Camping is one thing which comes immediately to mind.

My grandparents would take me for two weeks every summer, from the time I was a toddler til I was 14 (I never understood why they stopped taking me that year. It was the one thing I looked forward to without fail every summer... anyway...). We would spend the days eating, swimming, boating, taking walks and sitting around the fire. But mostly we would simply enjoying the fresh air, nature, quiet, and each others' company. I have never been so at peace as I was those two weeks of every summer.

I miss it with every fiber of my being. Not just the camping (which is something we have not done with our kids in ten years), but the peace. The kind of peace that sinks into your very "soul"... where the world is a good place, where everything is in harmony.

It's been a long time since I've been there and I yearn for it.

Every generation has its own problems, but I really feel that our existence stands upon the edge of a knife. During no other time in the history of humanity have so many things been headed down the wrong path. I wish I could be that little girl again, walking with her grandfather on a wooded path, with nothing more pressing on her mind than whether she wanted to go swimming tomorrow or just sit under the trees and watch for chipmunks and blue jays.

A friend forwarded a movie preview to me today, and this line seemed to fit this blog perfectly: Everyday we see something that we grew up with our youth and is lost."

2 comments:

Talee said...

OMG...this about got me crying...I so so so relate. I wish so much I could give my kids what I had when I was their age, but it seems so hard these days because of all the change.

Fille de la Lune said...

Hi Talee :) Thanks for visiting my blog. Glad you enjoyed and related!

The world has definitely changed, and is changing. Perhaps what we can do, since we can't go back and we can't ignore change, is to make new traditions and memories, and involve our kids in making changes for the better :)