Thursday, September 17, 2009

Darwin's "Origin of Species," with a new 50 page introduction by Ray Comfort

Ray Comfort. You know.. The Way of the Master and The Atheist's Nightmare Banana Man...

He's a Nightmare alright. I read on Pharyngula tonight, in a blog entitled Foil the Depraved Designs of a Dastardly Duo that Mr. Comfort has altered The Origin of Species by adding a 50-page introduction, full of half-truths and pseudo-science.

Here's a video of his little helper, Kirk Cameron, explaining their brilliant plan to once and for all spread the ugly "truth" about evolution. They will deploy their stink bombs on November 19th, 2009, to 50 college campuses.



Over on Dawkins.net, they suggest a way to fight against the spread of misinformation. Dawkins.net suggests:

We can amass as many of these books as possible, remove the 50 page intro, and then donate perfectly good copies of 'Origin of Species' to schools, libraries, and Goodwill. We can actually make this into something positive.

If you engage in this activity, just do the Earth a favor and recycle the torn out pages. :)

Ok... in all honesty, though, I don't truly recommend the destruction of books (although a few weeded out copies here and there won't hurt too much?). Comfort and Cameron have a right to be heard no matter how ridiculous the message they are trying to spread.

Knowing that this stuff is out there is part of the battle. The rest is up to you.

3 comments:

dearthnick said...

Thanks, Renee! I guess those two can keep fighting their fight with unending, relentless ignorance. Personally I love the "banana" argument. I've gotten a lot of laughs from it!

Carmen said...

I would be happy to distribute free bibles as long as I'm allowed to add a 50-page introduction. You know, just sort of a quick this is why the rest of this book is bullshit. Who could turn down giving away free books?

Fille de la Lune said...

Now now, Marcus, play nice. :)

Yes, I'm an atheist. Why do I care? Any thinking, rational person should care when society is dumbed-down through misinformation, especially when that misinformation is intentional, as is the case Ray Comfort's little edit of Darwin's work.

At any rate, Marcus, if you'd read the note I attach to the comment form, you'd have seen that I don't allow insults here, although differing opinions politely offered are always welcome. Calling me a whore and telling me to fuck myself will not get your point across. It will only get your comment deleted. I suggest you come back and post when you are ready to behave yourself.

Comment deleted :)