Sunday, November 1, 2009

I'm not really an environmentalist

An off-the-cuff blog that won't be edited for PC-ness.

How many times have you seen this, or perhaps said it yourself?

I am not an environmentalist.

I'm always struck with the strangeness of this statement, almost like someone saying, "Yeah.. I'm not really into food."

Well, actually, a friend once called me a foodie, and my incredulous response was, "Aren't we all?" (I'd never before heard the term foodie.) I mean, we all eat. And, even if we personally find that eating takes up just way too much time in a day, or that cooking is a complete waste of a life... well, at the very least, two things are true: everyone needs sustenance to survive, and most people have taste buds and therefore enjoy the taste of at least some foods.

So, back to environmentalists, and all of those people who claim to not be one...where are they living? An environment-free bubble?

And no, I don't mean to imply that they are living in La La Land with their heads in the sand, not paying attention (although for some, that may very well be the case). I mean, are they not living in THE Environment? You know, the one, and only one, responsible for sustaining their lives? The one, and only one, that is essential in not only their survival but that of all their friends and family?

It often seems to be said as though to quickly assure people, "No, I'm not going to start bathing in cow dung, or wiping my ass with leaves and sticks, or any of those other wacko things those hippie treehuggers do, because.. well, I'm not an environmentalist!"

I understand not being into.. video gaming, religion, body art, spectator sports, soap operas, Mafia Wars, chocolate, high fashion... you could spend days listing everything aside from the basics: food, water, clean air, shelter, community. The rest is just bonus. Take it or leave it.

You can't leave THE Environment. It's just not an option.

I try my best to not be intolerant, to understand the origins of people's viewpoints, etc. I really do. But, if I'm being honest, anyone who's very survival depends on the health of THE Environment is making the most absurd statement ever when they say, "I'm not an environmentalist."

~

No comments: