Sunday, August 16, 2009

Community.. all warm and fuzzy

About a year ago, I wrote a blog entitled Where's the Connection Out There? in which I discussed the lack of community, of positive contact with fellow humans "out there."

One of my theories for our lack of connection is that we are nameless and faceless, which leads to my son's theory. He believes that we humans were never meant to live in such large "communities;" that, like our fellow apes, we are meant to live in pods large enough to protect one another and ensure genetic variation, but small enough to know one another.

I think he's on to something, certainly.

Today I went to the Farmer's Market at the mall. I've been longing to go to it since it began a month ago, but for reasons which I will explain shortly, it hadn't happened.

It's at 8:00 in the morning. On a Sunday. Yeah. Not being a morning person, I haven't been able to drag myself out of bed for this thing. But I had hopes that the market would be calm, peaceful, and not crowded like the one on Thursdays.

I rarely go to the one on Thursdays because there are so many people there, and most in a frenzy to get their produce. It's astonishing, really, how excited people get over an apple and a head of lettuce. People are in such a rush, and are in full Defense Mode, wary of anyone stealing their place in line or getting the better ear of corn. No thanks! That's way too much stress for me, so I avoid it if I can.

Today, I pull into the parking lot, and... ahhhh. Only a few cars. I get out, and am able to walk in a straight line, not having to veer to the side to avoid walking into anyone.

I chatted with a man selling tea, who gave me a nice sample. I bought some, chatted some more, and moved on.

The egg man was there. Love fresh eggs, so I went to his stall. As I made my purchase, he and I talked about reusing egg cartons (I have a huge stack I've been saving for him), about how far he had to travel to the market, and about how he hoped that a few more people would show up to this event so that it would be worth his while. I said I hoped that business would pick up a bit, but that I really loved the calm atmosphere. I wished him luck and moved on to the main reason I was there.

Fruit!

Peaches. Pluots. Plums. Nectarines. Grapes. Oh yeah. I love this vendor from Thursdays. (Unfortunately I can't provide a link since I don't know what farm they are from and I can't find them on the vendor list. But they are there every week. See video below.)

I and two other customers stood there and chatted and laughed with the vendor, snacking on slices of pluots and peaches. It was awesome. It was delicious.

It was that connection for which I yearn.

No crowds. No pushing and shoving. No fighting for space or resources. It seemed like excellent proof that my son has it right, at least partly. We were meant to have face to face contact in small numbers.. not this nameless, faceless, angry, defensive type of contact to which we have become so accustomed.

I hope that business there picks up just enough to keep it going, but stays small and friendly. Such a pleasant experience. :)

1 comment:

Captain T said...

Great post, Renee. I think your son is very intuitive. Wonder where he gets it from ;)

I'm like you with crowds. I would simply rather not deal with them even if it means forgoing what I want. I started to feel this way many years back during the holiday shopping season. I would just drive and walk around completely amazed at how selfish, angry and downright mean people can be when they are so focused on getting what they want (without noting the irony).