Monday, July 28, 2008

Humane, Global, and Farseeing

TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) began as an annual conference where the brightest and most innovative of our species could gather together and share ideas.

On the TED website, one can find numerous videos from the conferences, as well as blogs and other information. If you have never visited the site, I urge you to do so. There is something there for anyone.

I found a few videos of interest this morning. One is of the atronomer Martin Rees, as he discusses the next 100 years on Earth.



The other is of my favorite biologist (doesn't everybody have one of those?), Richard Dawkins, as he discusses "militant" atheism.





Here is another from my favorite cookbook author, Mark Bittman. Two of his cookbooks, How to Cook Everything and How to Cook Everything Vegetarian are literally falling apart, I've used (and abused!) them so often. I disagree, of course, with his assertion that the term "locavore" and the movement that goes along with it is elitist. But hey, his opinion is his own :) What I love about him is that he believes, first and foremost, that good food is real food.



Other themes include:

A Greener Future
What's Next in Tech
Bold Predictions, Stern Warnings
What Makes Us Happy

and dozens of others. Check it out! :)

2 comments:

Carmen said...

Actually, I found that sticky paper, bright lights surrounded by an electric cage and a plastic screen at the end of a long handle work a great deal better than honey!

Fille de la Lune said...

I think you may be the first to leave a comment on a blog not responding to the blog itself but to the automated "Leave your comment" message instead.

You hit the comment button first, so you must have had something to say. What was it, hmmm???

:p